Monday, August 10, 2009

Suggested Reading on Your Spiritual Journey


Suggested Reading on Your Spiritual Journey

The following is a list of many (but not all!) of my favourite books that have helped me immensely on my Spiritual journey. It is booked-ended by two of my favourites: A Course in Miracles and Star Wars.


A Course in Miracles

Controversial to say the least, this book is not an easy read, yet worth every effort in the end. This book explains the true meaning behind miracles, the crucifixion and so on.

"You do not ask too much of life, but far too little."

"I can change all thoughts that hurt."


The Bhagavad-Gita

This Hindu text records a conversation between Krishna and Arjuna taking place on the battlefield. Arjuna has become filled with doubt and morally has become confused. Arjuna then is taught about the soul and dharma.

"A man should raise himself, and should not demean himself; for he is the friend of his self, and he its enemy."


The Analects - Confucius

"Do not do to others what you would not like yourself."

When reading this quote it is important to know that Confucius was born over 500 years before Jesus. Confucius thought of himself as a transmitter who invented nothing. His teachings encourage people to think deeply for themselves.



The Spirit of Tao - Thomas Cleary

The Tao, an ancient Chinese philosophy refers to 'The Path' or 'The Way'.

"Walk slowly at a relaxed pace and you won’t stumble. Sleep soundly and you won’t fret through the night. If you think about the past, your former self will not die. If you think about the future, the road seems long and hard to traverse."



Siddhartha - Herman Hesse

A fictional telling of how the Prince, Siddhartha, follows a spiritual journey to enlightenment and became Buddha.

"What a path it has been! I have had to experience so much stupidity, so many vices, so much error, so much nausea, disillusionment and sorrow, just in order to become a child again and begin anew."




The Power of Myth - Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers

Although I've not read this book I have watched the 6 part Public Television documentary. Bill Moyers interviews Joseph Campbell on The Hero's Journey, the messages in myths, following your bliss and so on.

"When people find out what it is that’s ticking in them, they get straightened out."



The Prophet - Kahlil Gibran
The little Lebanese poet's writing is simply beautiful. This book is known as Gibran's masterpiece is one of the most moving books ever written. Keep in mind that no matter what book of his you pick up, you can't be disappointed.

"And when one of you falls down he falls for those behind him, a caution against the stumbling stone. Ay, and he falls for those ahead of him, who though faster and surer of foot, yet removed not the stumbling stone."

Jesus the Son of Man - Kahlil Gibran

A fictional account of Jesus from the people who knew him. Each short chapter is a letter written from the point of view of many different people, from Jesus' grandmother, Anna, Mary Magdalene to Pontius Pilate. Reading this one wonders if Gibran was actually there...

"I alone love the unseen in you."



Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - Robert M. Pirsig
This book nearly knocked me over when I first read it. Is it possible to think yourself into insanity? Speaking from experience, I say "Yes!"
The book subtitled 'an inquiry into values', describes in the first person a motorcycle road trip the author takes with his son, Chris. It really has nothing to do with motorcycles. There is a wealth of practical discussions in this book, striking a balance between romance and reality.

"We have artists with no scientific knowledge and scientists with no artistic knowledge and both with no spiritual sense of gravity at all…the time for real
unification of art and technology is really long overdue."


Lila - Robert M. Pirsig
This book is an inquiry into morals. Pirsig studies the hippie movement who perceived the flaws in both social and intellectual patterns, sought to transcend them, but failed to provide a stable replacement, degenerating instead into lower level biological patterns called free love.

"They love you for being what they want to be but they hate you for being what they’re not."


The Last Temptation of Christ - Nikos Kazantzakis
Most people remember Martin Scorsese's film based upon this book. Probably more controversial than A Course in Miracles, this FICTIONAL telling of Jesus' life offers Jesus as human, rather than God-like. Personally this telling gives me more hope and I think makes the message that much stronger.

"If I were fire, I would burn; if I were a woodcutter, I would strike. But I am a heart, and I love."


Saint Francis - Nikos Kazantzakis

Another fictional retelling of a famous historical figure.

"There is no harsher means of punishment, than to answer malice with kindness."

"Hell is nothing more than the antechamber of heaven."



Black Elk Speaks - John G. Neihardt

A 1932 story of an Ogala Sioux Medicine Man. Plagued by visions of his people being overcome by the White Man, Black Elk feels as though he has been charged with his people's salvation.

"And it seemed I did not belong to my people. They were almost like strangers. I would be out alone away from the village and the other boys, and I would look around to the four quarters, thinking of my vision and wishing I could get back there again. I would go home to eat, but I could not make myself eat much; and my father and mother thought that I was sick yet; but I was not. I was only
homesick for the place where I had been."

Available to read on line here:
http://www.firstpeople.us/articles/Black-Elk-Speaks/Black-Elk-Speaks-Index.html


The Legend of Bagger Vance - Stephen Pressfield

Bagger Vance is a mysterious traveler carrying a suitcase who appears out of the darkness and has come to coach and teach Junuh (the name is a reference to Arjuna in the Bhagavad-Gita), not about Golf, but about how to live.

"I’ve stood across…from men and women who hated me. But I…I couldn’t hate them…They were just me. Me with another man’s face."


Star Wars - George Lucas

I will often reference Star Wars, specifically more of the movies than the novelization’s. There are many reasons to enjoy Star Wars from the surface level of special effects to the hyper-kinetic light saber battles. But for me, I love the layers upon layers within all six of the movies. Themes of duality; spirit vs. technology; realizing that all possibilities are open to all of us (the Good side and the Bad side); and especially redemption. The list is endless.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

No comments:

Post a Comment